[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

Why Sochi is THE worst track ever

Discussion about: Why Sochi is THE worst track ever
VFan17
Staff Team Pit Pass Registered
There are some bad tracks in F1 *cough* Abu Dhabi *cough* which produce plenty of boring races, but for me the one that takes the cake is Russia.

First of all, every single corner apart from turn 3 is 90 degrees and I mean EVERY SINGLE CORNER. Like literally, no chicanes, no hairpins, no esses, no fast sweepers just boring 90 degree corners. You'd think it's the middle ages.

Secondly, the things flater then a pancake. Like seriously, theres barely any elevation change. The difference between the highest and lowest point is a (not) massive 1m. And bear in mind the track is 5km long. No uphill or downhill turns. Some tracks are the same but at least they have something else good about them (e.g Monza is flat but it's fast straights and quick turns give it it's character)

Finally the runoff is horrible. It's just tarmac. I like tarmac runoffs because they are safe but some grass or a gravel trap or two wouldn't go amiss. Whats even worse is it blends in with the track, get rid of the kerbs and you wouldn't know where the track started or ended.

Any one else think the same?

F1Fan1
I know the Abu Dhabi has a very long straight, so there's nothing to do steering wise much, when on that straight. I like the Abu Dhabi circuit. Granted, it's not the best circuit, on the Formula 1 calendar, but for me it's certainly an enjoyable one. I like the boat yard / harbour surrounding the circuit.

F1Fan1

VFan17
The third sector though is just 90 degree corners, and usually it produces boring races (Abu Dhabi). Each to their own though.