[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

Who's Ferrari's Greatest Ever F1 Driver?

Discussion about: Who's Ferrari's Greatest Ever F1 Driver?
Brad P
Staff Team Pit Pass Registered
download.png

Who gets your vote as Ferrari's greatest ever F1 driver?

Ferrari have had some incredible drivers but it's got to be Schumacher for me. I think he's the greatest F1 driver of all time, let alone Ferrari's best ever F1 driver

VFan17
Yeah it's Schumacher without a doubt, he really led then to glory and without him I don't think they would have recovered from their drought and possibly not even be the most successful team in the sport. Apart from him, Ascari was a brilliant driver, he dominated 52 and 53, again I think without him Ferrari wouldn't have found their feet so early in the championship. Those two I think are the best, after that, Lauda and Villnerve were both excellent driver and recently Alonso has joined that list.

F1Fan1
Michael Schumacher is 100%, the best driver for Ferrari, ever!

F1Fan1

Last edited:
JohnH
Registered
I can see the argument for Schumacher he definitely piled on the numbers as far as GP wins and WCCs/WDCs go and was certainly a big part of the Ferrari revival. But I must add that in my eyes some of his victorys will be tainted by his tactics.

VFan17
I never will understand why people single out Schumacher for "dirty tactics". What about Senna hitting Prost on purpose in 1990? Or squeezing him up against the wall in Portugal? Or passing him in Imola when they had a agreement? And on the subject of Prost, what about him driving blatantly into Senna in 1989? No, everyone just goes on about how Senna is the greatest driver in F1 and how Schumacher cheated etc. As far as memory serves me, Schumacher hit Hill in 1994 (how can we be sure he did it on purpose??) and Villenurve in 1997. While the latter I admit was clearly on purpose, but the former is something we cant be sure of. On top of that, I feel that people make alot of noise over the 1994 incident simply because he hit a British driver. Not to mention the fact Schumacher was disqualified/banned from four races through no fault of his own, that's 40 free points for Hill, and still he entered the final race a point behind? That's quite poor if you think about it. As for the 2002 Austrian Grand Prix, I beg to ask how was it his fault. Todt and Brawn were the ones who asked Baricello to let him past, Schumacher had nothing to do with, he even let Rubens stand on the top step and he repaid him in USA. Just my two cents.

JohnH
Registered
Well in this case I would say simply because the question was about Ferrari s greatest driver, as Senna never got to drive for the Italian team he was not at the forefront of my thoughts.
But I do agree Senna could be very unsporting in his approach to driving.
Just like to add, although I agree the Schu was the best ever Ferrari driver, I don't think he was the best driver who raced a Ferrari.

VFan17
@JohnH
Just like to add, although I agree the Schu was the best ever Ferrari driver, I don't think he was the best driver who raced a Ferrari.
What do you mean by that?

JohnH
Registered
What do you mean by that?
Well the way the question is asked makes it a closed question. therefore the answer really can only be Schumacher as he won the most races scored the most points E.T.C for Ferrari. But the most talented driver I believe drove for Ferrari was Fangio. These are the reasons.
Fangio won 5 WDC's in 5 years in 4 teams Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Mercedes and Maserati. 24 wins from 52 starts, , 48 front row starts, 29 of those where pole positions.
He competed in 12 Hours of Sebring 3 times :-1 DNF 2 wins.
1 Carrera Panamericana in 1st place.
Plus he also raced in the Le man 24hr and the Indy 500, not so successful but his versatility as a driver was on show for all to see.
All this in cars that required a lot more driver input to get the most from the car.
Also Schumacher in the wet weather was great, Fangio was simply incredible.