News
New to our community? Hit 'Register' in the top right corner!
[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

Testing

Discussion about: Testing
Ferrari champions
Registered
Loving the new livery on the cars, Ferrari looking good. Hope Kimi stays competitive in his new team. Would love to see them do well this season to.

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
Yeah I love the Ferrari, the black looks great! Alfa Romeo had good one lap pace AND most importantly looked fast in race stints. I'll put up a bigger post onwhat I saw in testing later, plenty of interesting things

F1Fan1
Staff Team Registered
I am very much looking to that, VFan17.

F1Fan1

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
@Ferrari champions @Brad P you guys are Ferrari fans, what do you think of Leclercs arrival? I'm still super excited about it :D

Reactions: F1Fan1
F1Fan1
Staff Team Registered
Looks good to me. :)

F1Fan1

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
@Brad P yeah that's exactly what I was talking about, good stuff :)

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
Alright, so:
1st test is mainly about reliability then going fastest. Mercedes covered the most laps, just ahead of Ferrari. Mercedes split their drivers over the two sessions in a day while Ferrari did a ABAB line-up. Red Bull will be encouraged that Honda had no noticable failures on track (Verstappen did mention something that cost them time one day) with either RBR or Toro Rosso. None of the Mercedes powered teams had any problems as far as I know, and we didn't see any engine failures in Ferrari, but Alfa Romeo cars grinded to a halt on several occasions, though it could just have been lack of fuel and they did do the most laps on day 4. Haas had several electric issues, McLaren had a problem on the first day but otherwise were mostly ok. Renault had a few issues here and there, with a rear wing failure for Ricciardo, and Hulkenburg had a problem on day 4 and only competed some 30 laps. Williams covered the less amount of distance because they missed the first two days.

Ferrari showed good pace on one lap pace on day 1 and 2, but since Mercedes never show their true hand yet we can't even use long runs to give a guess on where they are. The Ferrari looked very consistent with tyre wear on long runs, which was a trend in testing as drivers did faster laps towards the end of a stint suggesting conservative tyres this year in terms of degradation. Red Bull were fast on long runs, close to Ferrari so thats more good news there for Honda. Toro Rosso went for glory runs on day 3 and 4, and ended up 1st and 2nd respectively, so Honda have at least some kind of pace. Renault didn't go for glory runs either until day 4 when they came 1st and 3rd, but I didn't see how they did with long runs. Alfa Romeo can be very happy, they showed very good one lap pace and experts have been saying that they have shown that form in long runs as well, so fourth could be on the cards for them. McLaren came 2nd in both day 1 and 2 but they were glory runs and experts again were saying it wasn't the same in long runs. Williams were way off the pace as they were just trying to find put how the car reacted to the air. Haas and Racing Point I didn't see much of so I can't make any assumptions on them.

Watching testing was really cool and I hope they bring that back next year. Hopefully next week we will get a better picture.

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
Things are getting very intriguing now, Ferrari with their car failure that sent Vettel into the barrier will worry about that? But then Bottas comes out and says Mercedes might not be able to fight for victory in Australia? Probably PR rubbish, but it's interesting. Mercedes are still going around with their sandbags, while Leclerc banged in a 1:16.2 when he wasn't going flat out. Who knows how the order will be in Melbourne with Red Bull also in the mix????