News
New to our community? Hit 'Register' in the top right corner!
[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

Point for fastest lap

Discussion about: Point for fastest lap
VFan17
Staff Team Registered
Yesterday it was announced that a point for the fastest lap in a race might be added before the season started. Today it was announced it's very likely this will happen.

Basically, if a driver sets a fastest lap in a race and finishes in the top ten, they get a point. If the driver who sets the fastest lap is outside the top ten then the extra point is not awarded at all (unlike F2 where the driver with the fastest lap in the top 10 gets the point).

I'm sort of against this because why is this being discussed just a week before the first race? Things like this should have been discussed and finalized last year for crying out loud especially since things like these can affect championships. What does everyone think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brad P and F1Fan1
Brad P
Staff Team Pit Pass Registered
This could be a great thing to be honest, harsh if that was to crown the champion on the last race :eek:

Reactions: F1Fan1
VFan17
Staff Team Registered
The thing is it's jus t going to be about who has a gap behind them with three laps to go to pit and put on fresh tyres. If a driver ends up winning a championship because they did rubbish in a race and did a late pit stop just to get the extra point, then it's a broken points system.

• Love
Reactions: F1Fan1 and Brad P
VFan17
Staff Team Registered
It's official there will be a point for whoever sets the fastest lap this year if the finish in the top ten

Nerdface
Registered
I personally think they should have awarded the bonus point for pole position on a Saturday.. I'm sure touring cars used to do this?

As @VFan17 said, although nobody took advantage of this today I think we could see drivers/teams who have had an off-day in 4th or 5th with a big enough gap behind them, jump in to the pits for a fresh set of tyres with a few laps to go and set an unbeatable lap for those ahead.

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
I'm personally not a fan of awarding points on Saturday, but each to their own. Today I have to say the fastest lap point worked a treat, Verstappen, Hamilton and Bottas going for it at the end. I stick to my original point though that @Nerdface pointed out