[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

2019 Silly Season

Discussion about: 2019 Silly Season
JohnH
Registered
What really, I mean I thought that possible earlier but the boss of Renault said he would not pay the money Ricciardo wanted. OK wow.

JohnH
Registered
OK thats a big move, as I said I had previously thought it possible even favorable when the boss of Renault said that Ricciardo would be their first choice. But then he said a little later Renault did not want to pay that much for a driver and they were still looking at a 2020/21 run at the WMC/WDC.
So has Renault been bluffing and have shown him something that would convince him he has a shot next year?
Or he may be just fed up with the silly politics inside of RB,
Either way I hope this livens up the racing next year.

VFan17
Staff Team Pit Pass Registered
As you can probably tell I was pretty shocked. That chucks the grenade into the silly season that was looking oh so calm. I think there were multiple factors that led him to join Renault. Red Bull were taking a very big risk with Honda, Verstappen was going to be their number 1 driver and Renault are on the up. Ricciardo-Hulkenburg pairing is going to be really exciting, two great drivers. Rumours suggest that Sainz isn't actually moving to Red Bull, he's in talks with McLaren, presumably to replace Vandoorne. Gasly would probably be next in line for the seat, though he's very young, and look what happened to Kvyat. It looks like their main and possibly only choice though right now. As for Toro Rosso, Ticktum has been brought up a few times but whether he has enough superlicense points is another question.

JohnH
Registered
This is not great news for RB, Ricciardo was a very experienced driver. I believe RB and more importantly Newey looked to Ricciardo for accurate feed back on chassis development. Obviously Verstappen is fast as is Gasly but their only 20. And with a new engine in the next few months needing to be tested in a new chassis. You need experience to sort through the changes and only so much can be done on a simulator.

VFan17
Agree, both if them together would leave a very young line-up. The only advantage is that Gasly has experience with Honda, but even then that's only one year. The problem is I feel Red Bull have boxed themselves into this situation that they have to take him. They are facing a struggle next year.

VFan17
Going to miss Alonso, he's a fantastic driver who deserves much more :(

Brad P
Going to miss Alonso, he's a fantastic driver who deserves much more :(
Might be the end of his F1 career but he will smash it in the USA, all his talent was going to waste with a under performing team.

VFan17
Opportune moment to move to IndyCar since he only has the Indy 500 to complete for the TC, I hope he achieves that

Alonso will go down in F1 history as one of if not the best driver of the current era. He will also be noted for some of the most ill timed, poorly thought out career moves ever.