News
New to our community? Hit 'Register' in the top right corner!
[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

2019 Australian Grand Prix

Discussion about: 2019 Australian Grand Prix
VFan17
Staff Team Registered
This is it. The first race of the season at the ultimate opening round of all time - Australia, Albert Park.

There's been plenty of action before - think to 2002 where there was a humongous crash on the opening lap with more then 8 cars eliminated I think, and home hero Mark Webber scoring points in a Minardi. Or for a more modern one, 2010, a wet dry thriller where Jenson Button won his first race for McLaren. More recently, Sebastian Vettel has won the last two races here, due to good strategy calls from Ferrari and a VSC last year.

So who has the upper hand? It's a tough question, as Ferrari look fast but we know Mercedes never show their true hand until when it matters. Red Bull, while unlikely, may even be in the mix. There's more in the midfield - who will emerge victorious out of Renault, Haas or Alfa Romeo for F1.5? And while he is in the worst car, Kubica's return surely marks a fantastic achievement of never giving up.

Hoping for a Vettel victory to kick of the campaign in the right way. A Leclerc podium would be great also!

Reactions: F1Fan1
Brad P
Staff Team Pit Pass Registered
Omg I can't wait its definitely going to be them most exciting one to date :)

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
No rain expected this weekend, but Friday is supposed to be 10 degrees colder then Sunday, maybe that'll mess up some race simulations, especially with the new tyre range?

Brad P
Who getting up early to watch it.. I certainly am

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
Got up early for practice 2, have to get up early tomorrow for qualifying and then early on Sunday for the race, so no sleep this weekend :p

Can't take to much from practice, Mercedes do look fast after their rubbish claims. Ferrari were struggling so expect Wehrlein to be hooked up to the simulator overtime. Red Bull look fast as well, could all three start on the same footing? Renault and Alfa Romeo look best of the rest, but Williams are miles away...

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
Interesting qualifying to say the least. Q1 was so nerveraking and exciting with the track improving at the end, and Gasly only 17th on his Red Bull debut (how long before the replace him with Kvyat? Haha). Williams still nowhere, but decent job from Russell to outqualify Kubica. Q2 was really close also. Both Renaults out was a shock, especially for Ricciardo on his home race. They're 11th and 12th though so that's strategically good, and great job from Hulkenburg to outqualify Ricciardo despite no second lap. Giovanazzi will probably be slightly disappointed he wasn't in Q3, while both Toro Rosso drivers did good, and Albon got ahead of Kvyat. Q3 was excellent. When Hamilton made a mistake and still was ahead of the Ferrari cars my heart sank but Bottas put in a stunner, who knows what he are for breakfast? Hamilton's second lap was good enough to get ahead, and Bottas made a mistake so Hamilton is on pole. Vettel was 8 tenths behind in third which is concerning but it was the same margin last year so it's not over yet. Verstappen did decent to get ahead of Leclerc, who topped Q1 when he was in the bottom 5. The Haas cars are very fast, Grosjean 6th and Magnussen 7th. Lando Norris was the driver of the day for me, what a performance. He struggled in practice, but got through Q1, Q2 and qualified 8th in Q3 in a McLaren! Kimi was 9th which is good because he's better in race then qualifying so he can get best of the rest. Perez took 10th with a solid performance.

Predictions for the race? I think Bottas will win this, he did superb in quali and could have been on pole. He looks rejuvenated now after last year. That said, the Mercedes was a handful over the weekend, so I wouldn't be surprised if him or Hamilton spun. I also wouldn't be surprised if Vettel and Verstappen crash into each other again.

Reactions: F1Fan1 and Brad P
Brad P
Well for me I'm disappointed that Ferrari failed to show any real pace, I was expecting to see them up there in 1,2 position.

It wasn't to be and the Mercs look like they will be the ones that dominate again this year... shame as I really did expect more from Ferrari :(

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
I don't understand why everyone is saying "Mercedes are dominant, Hamilton has won the championship" etc. It's been ONE
qualifying session. We haven't even seen a race. Wait until a few races (by China should be good, there's long straights in Bahrain, fast corners in China and slow corners in Melbourne so we'll have seen how everyone performs at different tracks) before saying straight away whether Mercedes is dominate or not.

Reactions: Brad P and F1Fan1
Nerdface
Registered
I mean, Mercedes did look pretty dominant throughout the race today, but at least it was Bottas and not Hamilton who bossed it!

Ferrari looked surprisingly poor following their decent pre-season testing, and I wasn't at all surprised to see that they didn't let Leclerc ahead of Vettel. I was more surprised that they didn't pit Leclerc after that decision was made though, he could have easily tried for the fastest lap having had a big enough gap to Magnussen for an extra stop.

Williams looked to be nowhere, and I've read that Claire Williams has come out and said that they didn't expect to be so far behind - yet everyone else saw it coming! :rolleyes:

Reactions: F1Fan1 and VFan17
VFan17
Staff Team Registered
Bottas was in a league of his own, hats off to him :)

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
We're hiding our posts so that anyone who come here by accident and hasn't watched the race seat get spoiled by the race results

F1Fan1
Staff Team Registered
I see. That makes much more sense. Thank you for explaining, @VFan17. :)

F1Fan1