[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

2018 Canadian Grand Prix

Discussion about: 2018 Canadian Grand Prix
Ruslan
Registered
I guess I will start a thread. This is going to be a very different race than Monaco....as it is much more of a power circuit. Expect Mercedes and Ferrari to be the top two teams, with Red Bull not really in reach. This will give us a much better picture of the differences between the Mercedes PU vice the Ferrari vice Renault vice Honda.

bogaaaa
Registered
I guess I will start a thread. This is going to be a very different race than Monaco....as it is much more of a power circuit. Expect Mercedes and Ferrari to be the top two teams, with Red Bull not really in reach. This will give us a much better picture of the differences between the Mercedes PU vice the Ferrari vice Renault vice Honda.
Yes Rusian l expect the same as you, it will be a very different race, l read some that the reno pu are going with a upgrade though as with ric's reno engine in monaco they still have reliablity issues but if rb can stay with merc/ferrari it would make the race more exciting.

There might a few suprises ,l hope it is more exciting than Monaco and hope the "wall of champions" claims a few over the weekend.

Ruslan
Registered
The "wall of champions" is not very consistent. Some seasons it is not an issue, some seasons it is the story.

Anyhow, it is a great venue that I have been to a few times. Love Montreal.

bogaaaa
Registered
Maybe the wall was a bigger issue before they resurfaced the track

VFan17
Staff Team Pit Pass Registered
Considering it's a power circuit and Ferrari are said to have a better engine in terms of straight line speed, I'm hoping Vettel can get his 50th win.

VFan17
I think it'll be a cracker, Montreal is usually amazing.

F1Fan1
I reckon it will be a Mercedes-Benz Petronas, or Scuderia Ferrari win, with this race. I will be surprised if a team that is not these two, wins.

F1Fan1

Considering it's a power circuit and Ferrari are said to have a better engine in terms of straight line speed, I'm hoping Vettel can get his 50th win.
I agree with you it would be great if Vettel got his 50th win there and Kimi came 2nd happy days !

VFan17
If Red Bull don't get their engine upgrade then I'm not expecting much from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy
Registered
If Red Bull don't get their engine upgrade then I'm not expecting much from them.
Yes and no. I think their car suits certain tracks, Monaco being a great example, but with Canada having so many straights I think Ferrari are really gonna excel with their top speeds. Seem to be quite a few Ferrari fans roaming about here so that's probably gonna be the popular opinion ;).

Ruslan
Registered
Well, first Free Practice:

Practice 1 Results

1. Max VerstappenNetherlandsRed Bull Racing TAG Heuer1:13.302
2. Lewis HamiltonBritainMercedes1:13.390
3. Daniel RicciardoAutraliaRed Bull Racing TAG Heuer1:13.518
4. Sebastian VettelGermanyFerrari1:13.574
5. Valtteri BottasFinlandMercedes1:13.617
6. Kimi RaikkonenFinlandFerrari1:13.727
7. Fernando AlonsoSpainMcLaren-Renault1:13.900
8. Carlos SainzSpainRenault1:14.116
9. Stoffel VandoorneBelgiumMcLaren-Renault1:14.311
10. Pierre GaslyFranceScuderia Toro Rosso Honda1:15.004
11. Esteban OconFranceForce India-Mercedes1:15.071
12. Romain GrosjeanFranceHaas-Ferrari1:15.119
13. Marcus EricssonSwedenSauber-Ferrari1:15.386
14. Charles LeclercMonacoSauber-Ferrari1:15.439
15. Kevin MagnussenDenmarkHaas-Ferrari1:15.579
16. Brendon HartleyNew ZealandScuderia Toro Rosso Honda1:15.756
17. Sergey SirotkinRussiaWilliams-Mercedes1:15.768
18. Lance StrollCanadaWilliams-Mercedes1:16.259
19. Nicholas LatifiCanadaForce India-Mercedes1:17.145
20. Nico HulkenbergGermanyRenaultNo Time

If I understand the various rumors correctly, 1) Ferrari was supposed to be strongest here, 2) Mercedes is having to use older engines, so should not be as strong, and 3) Renault has upgraded their engines, so even though the track favors Ferrari and Mercedes, they will be more competitive

What we are seeing from this first practice is Red Bull at the top of the time sheets (although I have my doubts this will remain) and Mercedes ahead of Ferrari (we shall see if this remains). The rest of the results are what we expect.

Ruslan
Registered
Practice 2 Results

1.Max VerstappenNetherlandsRed Bull Racing TAG Heuer1:12.198
2.Kimi RaikkonenFinlandFerrari1:12.328
3.Daniel RicciardoAutraliaRed Bull Racing TAG Heuer1:12.603
4.Lewis HamiltonBritainMercedes1:12.777
5.Sebastian VettelGermanyFerrari1:12.985
6.Valtteri BottasFinlandMercedes1:13.061
7.Romain GrosjeanFranceHaas-Ferrari1:13.620
8.Esteban OconFranceForce India-Mercedes1:13.747
9.Sergio PerezMexicoForce India-Mercedes1:13.754
10.Fernando AlonsoSpainMcLaren-Renault1:13.866
11.Charles LeclercMonacoSauber-Ferrari1:13.884
12.Brendon HartleyNew ZealandScuderia Toro Rosso Honda1:13.889
13.Kevin MagnussenDenmarkHaas-Ferrari1:13.956
14.Nico HulkenbergGermanyRenault1:13.967
15.Marcus EricssonSwedenSauber-Ferrari1:14.108
16.Stoffel VandoorneBelgiumMcLaren-Renault1:14.167
17.Carlos SainzSpainRenault1:14.433
18.Pierre GaslyFranceScuderia Toro Rosso Honda1:14.486
19.Lance StrollCanadaWilliams-Mercedes1:14.703
20.Sergey SirotkinRussiaWilliams-Mercedes1:14.782

Well, Red Bull remains on top while Ferrari is now faster than Mercedes. Not I believe that Red Bull is faster than Ferrari and Mercedes at this track. If so....then the rest of the season is a whole new story.

Creaky
Registered
Hopefully Lewis Hamilton will be able to pull something off, starting from 4th isn't ideal though.